Thursday, December 11, 2008

Here I Raze And Raise My Ebenezer

If I could work my will, every idiot who goes about with "Merry Christmas" on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart.

Ebenezer Scrooge, prior to his nocturnal transformation, had a way with words. To bad he had to get all sentimental in the end. Through the years I have often found myself in agreement with his original thoughts regarding the ubiquitous "Merry Christmas" greeting. Being a Puritan by conviction and a contrarian by disposition I have always been inclined to knock the celebration of Christmas and all of its' glorious superficiality.

Now I find myself a staunch defender of the "Merry Christmas" greeting. "Season's Greetings" and "Happy Holidays" are meaningless. The traditional, "Merry Christmas" while trite, constitutes a significant statement, unconscious though it may be on the part of the greeter, about our culture's Christian heritage. And I am all about rebuilding Christendom from those remaining ruins. So every time the American Family Association informs me that some corporation has excised the word, Christmas, from its advertisement or refuses to allow their employees to say "Merry Christmas" to their customers, I email my protest.

That brings me back to the Ebenezer thing. I have concluded that I have to "raze" the spirit of Ebenezer Scrooge, at least a little bit so that I can promote the revitalization of Christendom. Like Samuel of old, I want to raise my Ebenezer, the stone of help, otherwise known as Jesus, in this season which Christendom has chosen, without consulting me as to the wisdom of the matter, for celebrating Christ's incarnation. Bah Humbug and Merry Christmas!

No comments: